Monday, February 16, 2015

On My Design Wall

Since I'm not teaching again until March, and my schedule is a little more open, I've been puttering on several projects. Though I don't have a single finish to share, I have made progress on several WIPs. This is what's on my design wall.

At the top are 12-1/2" unfinished blocks from my 2-1/2" square scraps pile. It's been nice to use up small leftover pieces, including a few old prints. And they're so much fun to sew! I adore the colors! With a new, 18-yard bolt of Kona white, I have lots of opportunities to make quilts with white backgrounds too.

The block comes from Instagram, where I saw it on SewGoClimbing's (she lives in Scotland) feed. I used EQ7 to design my 12-1/2" X 12-1/2" block. These are half of the 30 blocks I want for a quilt... and even when I'm finished making blocks, I'll still have a whole bunch more 2-1/2" squares left!

The block below is an experiment, and a not too successful one at that! Using SewKindofWonderful's "Curve it Up!" pattern and Quick Curve ruler, I tried a Sawtooth Star block.

Since I have a huge stack of more than 130 4-1/2" X 4-1/2" 16-patch blocks - leaders and enders I've sewn since the Fall of 2011 - I thought to join four blocks together to make the block center. That part is fine, but I had issues piecing the curves. As you can see, they don't properly meet up - the top and bottom ones are the worst. I'll definitely be reworking this one.


The rainbow hexagon design below is a combination of English paper piecing, hand appliqué, and big stitch quilting. The quilting isn't quite right - perhaps the perle cotton colors are wrong - so this will need more attention too. I sure like working with the flax-colored linen background though. It has such a nice texture. 

My "Dandelion Clock" quilt has been selected to appear in the MassDrop booth (#816) at QuiltCon! (If you aren't familiar with MassDrop, it's a company that bulk orders all kinds of items, including quiltmaking supplies, so the buyer gets a discounted price. You can get more information here.)

Dandelion Clock was made in December 2013-January 2014, and I'm pleased that in 2015 it's still being seen publicly, instead of on the bedroom wall where it usually hangs.
 

QuiltCon begins Thursday, so watch Instagram for lots of quilty happenings! #quiltcon Linda

16 comments:

  1. I love the way you American gals buy bolts of fabric! I recently bought a metre of Kona white and thought about how long that would last me! I think its wonderful that your Dandelion CLock will be on show at QuiltCon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks as though you're enjoying your free time! I look forward to seeing your quilt on display at QuiltCon. Can't believe it's almost time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I,like the second block. And lots of scrap busters too.
    I've joined Instagram and left a comment on your post about your dandelion quilt. You probably didn't realise who floss1953 was!
    Can't wait to,see all the news from quiltcon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your WIP on the wall, so colorful and fun! Have fun at Quiltcon! How exciting to have your quilt in a booth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love your blog. There are always interesting projects to spike my interest and dazzle me with your colors and patterns. I

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still love your Dandelion Clock quilt! So glad I got to see it in person at the quilt show!! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You seem to enjoy some "you" time just pottering around in your sewing studio. Love the different projects you are working on, so colourful and vibrant. Are you going to QuiltCon yourself? Congrats on getting your quilt selected for the MassDrop booth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I have a funny story to tell you about the first quilt when we meet - it will give you an excuse to come find me, LOL!! Here's a hint - great minds think alike :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your design wall is wonderful. I have a lot of 2.5" squares too, but not quite as bright as yours. I love your layout. The sawtooth block is a great idea too for using up those small squares. You just come up with the best designs. Congrats on having your quilt in a booth. What fun you will have at Quilt Con. I'm not an Instagram user, but it sounds like maybe I should be. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you've had some 'free' time and excited to see your quilt at QuiltCon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just ,ove dandelion clock. It's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your scrappy blocks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your colors are so bright and cheerful. Glad you have a bit of time to play!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad your schedule has eased up. This looks like a wonderful way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I reviewed the Quick Curves ruler on my blog a few weeks ago. If you want results that fit together perfectly in the traditional manner, you really need traditional curved templates with seam allowance added. I think the Sew Kind of Wonderful gals are very clever, BUT you can't be looking for traditionally pieced results with their ruler. (My blog is ZippyQuilts.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
  16. the star block is so neat.
    That is awesome that your quilt is going to be seen by hundreds of people. It is a wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin